Sunday, February 3, 2013

Classic 1980s Video Renal Store

Here's my 80s video store, the main model is Stoelzels Structures food market, a great model and a very simple build perfect for beginners.
 The 80s was the heyday of the video store, as a kid renting  movies was a big deal, i remember every Friday night the family going to the store to rent movies. 
I used XTra Vision as the brand for the shop, they are Ireland's biggest  rental chain and are still going strong online today.

 
I modified the structure slightly by giving it a suspended balcony instead of the second floor so their is more floor space, the cafe where
my wife works has this design, and i like it very much, i added some movie posters and stands of some of the movies i remember renting back in the day. This is my first project with the windows removed, this is something i will do on all future builds. 

Sorry for the bad pics, my camera is on the blink
















12 comments:

  1. Thats a brilliant rendition of the original The interior looks great. :D

    I have fond memories of renting spiderman cartoons every Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, i like the old 1960s spiderman cartoons

      Delete
  2. It is a sad fact of life that video stores are on the way out. I love what you have done here with your conversion of the food market. I had a lot of fun checking out your movie posters and I'm certain I have seen all of the ones you show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan, i love old horror and cheesy scifi movies

      Delete
  3. The posters, and the second floor balcony are very striking elements. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the curtain lead to the "adult rental" section? Very nice and full of character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvellous build SK! You've done a great job of taking the Food Market model and creating your own building from it. I may well have to make one like this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great conversion of the food market, it's a very convincing video store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, i should have another build up in a few days

      Delete